Charles River Campaign
SHAME ON MAYO: CLOSE CHARLES RIVER
Charles River Laboratories, which is one of the biggest animal testing companies in the world, has two research facilities in Ireland. They are located in: Carrentrila, Ballina, Co. Mayo and Glenamoy, Co. Mayo. These laboratories have been in operation since 1976, then known as “Biological Laboratories Europe”. In 2002, then-owner Leonard Moran, sold the facilities to the company “Charles River”, for 28million euro.
They conduct painful, live experiments on animals for the Pharmaceutical, Animal Health, Medical Device, Biotechnology and Food Industries. They are a contract testing business, which means they will test anything, on any animal, for a price.
Thousands of animals are experimented on in these labs every year.
Their torturous lives are full of pain, fear, suffering and misery. Any animal that manages to survive an experiment, is killed shortly afterwards.
Animals are bred on site, both for their own use and to sell to universities and other commercial laboratories, and we have been informed by sympathisers that the species used include mice, rats, dogs, cats and horses. Over the years we have also received claims of animal bodies and toxic waste being dumped in the nearby lake, as well as reports of dogs being heard barking and howling for hours on end in breeding sheds.
How could anyone do that to an animal? These people are barbaric animal abusers, and are an absolute disgrace to humanity. Hidden behind closed doors, they have gotten away with this for far to long. But we will not stop until we expose this disgusting industry, and finally put a stop to it.
As part of our campaign, we will also be targeting the “Ovagen” plant, which is located beside the laboratory in Ballina. Ovagen, which was also developed by Leonard Moran, is another animal testing laboratory. They breed “germ free” chickens, who produce “germ free” eggs - an ingredient used in vaccines. The chickens in this plant aren’t even allowed to lay eggs normally. They are put in an isolation box, and the eggs are removed from them by caesarean operation.
Animals are sentient beings who deserve the freedom to live a full life in their natural environment. There is absolutely no moral or ethical justification whatsoever for using any animal in this way.
***NEW INFORMATION WE HAVE RECEIVED ON CHARLES RIVER LABS:***
- Species used in the Ballina Lab: mice, rats, rabbits, dogs, snakes, some horses - but in general, smaller animals.
- Species used in Glenamoy Lab: cats, cattle, horses - bigger animals in general.
- Once mice and rats go under a certain weight, they are killed. They are supposed to be “humanely euthanized” but most of the time staff just break their necks.
- Hundreds, possibly thousands, of cats are killed every year in clinical trials. The trials are repeated every 6 weeks with new cats. By the end of each trial, the cats are so weak and in so much pain, they can’t even stand up. They are then killed.
- A lot of lost/stolen dogs and other animals end up in the Charles River laboratories. Apparently dog wardens are secretly responsible for this, and are being paid to do so. There was an incident in 2008/2009 in which a dog was taken, put in local pound, and then given to the Charles River lab in Ballina. The owner of the dog managed to discover this, and had to call the Gardai to help get the dog back.
- Veterinarians run both labs, and are now directors. They receive huge payments from pharmaceutical companies for tests. This is one of the biggest kept secrets at Charles River.
- Every tueday - blood is taken from horses, and then transported all around the country - particularly to hospitals. The purpose for this is currently unknown.
- Secrecy inherent when it comes to working at Charles River - most staff are not allowed mix with eachother or know the details of what their colleagues' jobs entail.
- Most of the activity (transport of animals, experiments etc) at both laboratories happen at night - the reason for this is for maximum secrecy.
***REWARD OFFERED FOR: VERIFIABLE, USABLE, RELEVANT, PHOTOS/FOOTAGE OF ANIMAL EXPERIMENTATION IN CHARLES RIVER AND/OR OVAGEN LABORATORIES***
THE ANIMALS NEED YOUR HELP NOW - LET’S EXPOSE MAYO’S HIDDEN SHAME
We seriously urge you not to do anything careless, destructive or illegal in the pursuit of the truth. The data collected will help to verify and validate information we have already been given and will greatly benefit our ongoing campaign to end this inexcusable practice.
CONTACT DETAILS FOR CHARLES RIVER: Tel. +353 (0) 96 70355
CONTACT DETAILS FOR OVAGEN: Tel. +353 (0)96 75579 Email: email@example.com
CONTACT DETAILS FOR FORTKNOX SECURITY (A COMPANY SET UP TO GUARD THE CHARLES RIVER LABS): Tel. +353 (0)96 72962, +353 (0)94 925 7580 and +353 (0)87 224 2924. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Address: Fortknox Security, Rooskey, Foxford, Co. Mayo, Ireland.